Musings on my adventures around the world and my ties back in Texas as well as some of the the ideas I have to adapt and create to keep those places close to home.

Sunday, August 24, 2008

A Turkish Wedding


Civil wedding ceremony
Originally uploaded by ccarlstead
Last night I went to my second wedding since coming to Turkey. This was for a fellow Wellesley alum that has moved to Turkey to marry her (now) husband. As she didn’t have anyone coming to represent her side I thought a trip off campus to attend was the least I could do to help make her day. The nice ting was that I at least now had a much better idea of what actually goes on during a civil wedding. Let me tell you one thing – it is quick! The entire process basically consists of the bride answering the following three questions: What is your full name? What is your father’s name? What is your mother’s name? Then the groom answers the same three questions. The bride then answering yes to is she wishes to become Mrs. so and so and the groom answering yes to if he wishes to take so and so as a Mrs. Sign your name here and “You are now married.” The entire thing takes maybe 7 minutes. Of course it was a tad slower last night since the government official was actually asking Helen her questions in English but there is not much to the exchange. Of course just because the ceremony is over doesn’t mean that the celebration has even begun. Food (salad, kofte and various meats, rice) is shared, a bit of dancing and then the cutting of the cake. All in all a low key but lovely celebration of one couple’s start for a life together.

No comments: