Musings on my adventures around the world and my ties back in Texas as well as some of the the ideas I have to adapt and create to keep those places close to home.

Sunday, September 7, 2008

Public Exercise Machines

There is a new trend in Istanbul to install exercise equipment in some of the public parks. I find it a bit odd. I'll run in public, but I'm not so sure how comfortable I would be on a glider, back press or side swinger (ok, so I don't know the technical names for most of the machines I checked out the other day - but you should get an idea of what they do from my made up names) where anyone who was passing by could see me. Talking with a Turkish friend the point was made that most of your everyday Turks would never be able to experience these machines if they weren't in the public areas. They don't have enough money to join a gym, and Turks don't seem to be nearly as obsessed with exercising as many Americans I know. So perhaps the easy access to these machines will help them to exercise a bit more. I just don't know if I'll get used to seeing fully covered, head-scarved women exercising on machines in the park. I think I'll stick to running, myself.

No comments: