Musings on my adventures around the world and my ties back in Texas as well as some of the the ideas I have to adapt and create to keep those places close to home.

Thursday, February 19, 2009

Getting students excited

I am always thrilled as a teacher when I can get my kids excited and fired up about something. I was pretty sure I had a winner of a lesson today for LP students (those learning the English of mathematics) and it turns out I was right. All because of this little problem (try it if you have a bit of time and see what you get as a result):

Write down the month you were born in (as a number)
Multiply by 4
Add 13
Multiply by 25
Subtract 200
Add the day you were born on
Multiply by 2
Subtract 40
Multiply by 50
Add the last 2 digits of the year you were born in
Subtract 10500

**I'm not quite sure if it will work with students born in 2000 or later, I might need to check that out in future years. **

No comments: