Musings on my adventures around the world and my ties back in Texas as well as some of the the ideas I have to adapt and create to keep those places close to home.

Thursday, July 30, 2009

What happened to yes?

With eagerness they come
Never told "you can't do that"
or "are you struggling?"
Visions of being a basketball playing
trash collecting doctor in their heads
Recalling their parents saying
"You can do anything you set your mind to"

Put in a group of like minded others
energy feeds off of others
and one idea explodes
into group actions

A little later the child is told "calm down"
"This is how I'd like you to do it"
"You're close, but not right"
and suddenly all actions are graded
If I get a B does that mean I'm not good?
Should I stop trying? Let the best do it?

Why do we stifle the eagerness?
Does it matter how good something is
if the person enjoys it?
Who determines what good and great are anyways?

Perhaps the Renaissance man
need to be re-embraced
with an emphasis on
anyone can do anything...or everything
as long as they will just say
"Yes, I can."

No comments: