Musings on my adventures around the world and my ties back in Texas as well as some of the the ideas I have to adapt and create to keep those places close to home.

Monday, April 30, 2007

Riding the Ferry




The sun is starting to shine daily, and I’m down to just a light jacket when I go out for the day. How happy am I that it is finally spring? With the start of the warmer spring season I am also pleased to be able to enjoy one of my favorite parts of exploring the city: ferry rides. The ferry is, in my mind at least, the best form of public transportation there is in Istanbul. Not only do you get to avoid all of the traffic and get to your location faster, but you can soak up the sun while traveling. Bored? Throw the sea gulls a bit of your simit (basically like a large bread pretzel). Thirsty, there is sure to be a man walking by soon chanting “chai” or “Nescafe.” And don’t forget the sights. The best view of the Sultanahmet skyline is from the ferry from Kadikoy to Eminonu or Kerikoy. It always reminds me that I am in another country, as I sit and count the number of minarets I can see poking up from the buildings. Not interesting enough for the 20 minute ride? Start to people watch. I guarantee you that you’ll see something entertaining there. Whether it’s a group of Fenerbache football fans (say that three times fast) chanting or a cluster of small kids enjoying the ride the people watching on the ferry is fabulous. And with your sunglasses on (yet one more benefit of sitting in the sun) they can’t even tell if you’re staring at them. Yes, I’m happy spring is back and I can go back to fully enjoying the entire experience of riding the ferry instead of just thinking of it as a way to get across the Bosphorus.

No comments: