Musings on my adventures around the world and my ties back in Texas as well as some of the the ideas I have to adapt and create to keep those places close to home.

Monday, November 10, 2008

Ataturk Remembrance Day



At 9:05 on November 10, 1938 Mustafa Kemal Ataturk died (from cirrhosis of the liver). The founder of modern Turkey made an enormous impact on the shape and development of Turkey as a nation. It is in great part due to his ideals that Turkey currently bridges a bit of the gap between the west and the Middle East. There is no denying that he is a man whose legacy is clearly visible.

What amazes me is that 70 years after his death the country not only remembers him but publicly mourns him in unison (in unison!!)on the anniversary of his death. At 9:05 in the morning sirens and bells go off around the country and everyone (and I mean pretty much everyone) stops and stands still and silent for a minute. Cars on the road pull over and park and people emerge to stand on the shoulder. Classes stop and silence descends upon a normally roudy school. I haven't been in the countryside on this day, but from what I've heard the same happens there. The whole country holds its breath and remembers this man.

No comments: