Musings on my adventures around the world and my ties back in Texas as well as some of the the ideas I have to adapt and create to keep those places close to home.

Thursday, November 27, 2008

Turkey treats teachers terrific

One of the things I really appreciate about this country is the amount of respect that exists for teachers. It is a profession that is truly appreciated here. To show that appreciation every year there is a Teacher’s Day (November 24) set aside to recognize the contributions that teachers make to the future of the country by educating its children. As Ataturk said the "new generation will be created by teachers."

This year I received one carnation, two roses, a television (!?! Special gift from the school) and enjoyed myself at a special dinner. Another advantage of being a teacher here is that you get reduced admission or free admission to many of the sites. I’ve heard this might be changing across the country but it is still true in Istanbul. I have to admit I really appreciate being able to explore what the country has to offer without having to pay for it all (and I especially appreciate it the third time I go somewhere because I have to take my guests there). Mostly though, I just appreciate the recognition and thanks that the day brings.

I highly encourage any of you who have children, or who have teachers to thank them for the job they do. It doesn’t take much, but it will make their day just a little bit brighter.

No comments: