Musings on my adventures around the world and my ties back in Texas as well as some of the the ideas I have to adapt and create to keep those places close to home.

Sunday, December 21, 2008

Magical Musicians

Compelling. Evocative. Toe-tapping. Those are my lasting impressions from this afternoon. What was I doing, you wonder? I took advantage of some discount tickets and went to listen to the Budapest Gypsy Symphony Orchestra that was on tour in Istanbul. It was a lovely concert. The sort that makes you forget about everything that has gone on before during that day . Music that places you in another world that has nothing to do with the one you normally inhabit. Music that has the power to take you away from everything is why music is such a part of our lives. I have to admit though, that it has been a long time since I’ve been that carried away by it. At times I felt as if their fingers were flying faster than my ears could even hear! And the dulcimer player was simply amazing - I couldn't even see the sticks they were moving so fast over his instrument. I highly recommend seizing the opportunity if you ever get a chance to see them. These musicians are also magicians, able to take you away for a brief hour or two. What a lovely way to spend an afternoon!

Sadly no pictures, as cameras were confiscated and checked at the door. Although you can check out a youtube video of them here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bma1WoR3Gd4

No comments: