Musings on my adventures around the world and my ties back in Texas as well as some of the the ideas I have to adapt and create to keep those places close to home.

Monday, March 30, 2009

tea time


Terraced tea slopes
Originally uploaded by ccarlstead
Along the coast of the Black Sea, as the hills rise away from the water, lies a land of terraced slopes and water filled valleys (not to mention many bridges – some picturesque and some I’m not sure I’d want to trust my safety to). It is here that Turkey’s tea industry lies. The slopes hold more tea plants then I can even begin to convey and on certain stretches of read you simply pass cay refinery after cay refinery. On this trip I leaved why some of the packets of tea in my grocery store proudly proclaim Rize Cay – it is not a brand name. It is the name of the town where the tea comes from. OF course in the town tea comes from there are plenty of tea gardens to sit down in and enjoy a glass or two. Mom and I made our way to one that was in a (small) botanical garden on the hill side overlooking the city. Quite a climb I must admit, after we figured out the correct path up. We finally made it up and got a good view of those terraced fields and, because we were tourists, a free glass of tea in the garden. How lovely! I think I’ll have a better appreciation of tea in this country now, even if I don’t drink it much at all.

No comments: