Musings on my adventures around the world and my ties back in Texas as well as some of the the ideas I have to adapt and create to keep those places close to home.

Sunday, March 8, 2009

Would you like a receipt?


No: let the trees grow
Originally uploaded by ccarlstead
Every time I go to the ATM machine I have to smile. And no, it’s not because I’m getting some money out. Although, perhaps in a way it is because I’m taking money out. What makes me want to laugh is the question the machine asks after I get my money. “Do you want a receipt?” I know, I know, there is nothing funny about the question. What is amusing is the way that they give you options. You can say “no” which is accompanied by a picture of a nice forest of trees. In other words, no thank you, don’t give me a receipt, I don’t want to use the paper and hurt the environment. Or you can say “yes” which is accompanied by a picture of some stumps of trees. An in, yes, print me out my receipt, I don’t care about the environment, go ahead and cut down those trees. It’s just interesting how the bank machine seems to carry an environmental message. Unfortunately I’m not sure how effective it is at all. Everyone that I have mentioned it to hadn’t noticed the images before I pointed them out. So perhaps the subliminal message isn’t working. But as long as they continue to use the pictures I’ll continue to hold back a giggle whenever I take out my money and chose “no, thank you, I’ll save the forest.”

No comments: