Musings on my adventures around the world and my ties back in Texas as well as some of the the ideas I have to adapt and create to keep those places close to home.

Sunday, April 22, 2007

Calling Home

It's humbling when you realize how much a phone call can mean. Don't get me wrong. I enjoy and need my calls home every week and sometimes talking to my parents is all that ground me for the week ahead. But today I realized just how much my calls mean to my parents. I was a bit later then normal calling (the whole 8 hour time difference makes it hard sometimes) this evening, and when I did finally call mom said she'd been waiting. They don't even have to ask who it is anymore on a Sunday morning, I guess I've become part of their routine (and really who else is going to call before 9 on a Sunday?). Our phone calls are just part of their weekend morning. But something mom said today made me realize just how much a part of their weekend it is. Dad apparently got dressed and was ready to go to the shop when mom asked "where are you going?" "To work." "But it's Sunday." So after about a minute of thought Dad reflected that indeed it was and he sat back down in the living room. And they waited, happily both there when I called so that we could chat for an hour. It was humbling though. I never realized how much my calls home meant to my parents. But to learn that they put off their schedule just to wait for the phone ring is pretty impressive. One thing for sure - I'm going to have to make sure that I don't miss a weekend call (unless of course we've already discussed that one of us will be incommunicado). Thank you Skype for making it so reasonable to stay in touch. And for all of you sons and daughters out there - pick up the phone and call home. You never know how much your parents would love to hear from you.

No comments: