Musings on my adventures around the world and my ties back in Texas as well as some of the the ideas I have to adapt and create to keep those places close to home.

Thursday, May 17, 2007

Idiotic Injuries

I swear that I get injured in the most random ways. They make good (but silly stories) - so much so that I had my Turkish teacher laughing out loud about my recent mishap ( a mean feat since I was trying to tell the story with my limited Turkish vocabulary). The current injury: I've hurt my wrist. It happened last Sunday when I was at a birthday party for the five year old twins who live next door. The gathered kids had played two rounds of musical chairs and for some reason it was decided that an adult round was required. I'm a good sport so I said I'd play, never dreaming that I'd end up as one of the final two. But that's exactly what happened. When the music stopped and I went to sit down the other contestant (a fellow math teacher) pulled the chair out from under me and I hit the floor. The problem is that I put my arm out to brace myself and ended up landing on my wrist. Ayie! You try putting most of your weight on your wrist and then keeping a somewhat straight face as 10 kids under the age of 6 circle around you. I thought I managed admirably. The real problem is that I decided to go ahead and play in my volleyball game on Tuesday - which was not the best of ideas...perhaps worth it as we're now going on to the semifinals in our tournament but not a great decision for my wrist.

No comments: