Musings on my adventures around the world and my ties back in Texas as well as some of the the ideas I have to adapt and create to keep those places close to home.

Wednesday, May 30, 2007

More jokes

My one class seems to think it hilarious to play jokes on me. The same class that tried to ring the bell using their cell phone hit it again today. I walked out of the room to go grab some paper and left my keys sitting on the desk (for the first time all year). When I returned the door was locked, and they were all sitting in the corner of the room impossible to see from the window in the door. Huh, what do you do now? Well, besides learn the lesson that they're teaching you? I walked back to the office next door, borrowed a key from another teacher that uses the same room, and went back to my room. I unlocked the door, walked back to my desk grabbed my keys, walked back out and locked the door. All without breaking into a smile. So then I had 16 kids locked into my classroom - not really a safe situation, but satisfying all the same. I only left them for about two minutes, well within my hearing range - so I'm not fretting. At least it proved a point and they settled down when I came back in (thinking about if I should lock all of us into the room together - but no, it's to hot to close the door, we need the breeze from the open window and door).

The plus side to my interaction with this class is that when I asked them not to sing since our room backs up to the office of the department head and pointed out that she could hear whenever they did so and then I had to answer to her they quieted right down. It's nice to know that they at least like me enough to not want to get me into trouble. Even if they are joksters who can't wait to try to trick me again.

1 comment:

Sara said...

Great response!!! That was quick thinking.