Musings on my adventures around the world and my ties back in Texas as well as some of the the ideas I have to adapt and create to keep those places close to home.

Monday, June 4, 2007

Birthday Presents


So what do you get someone who is getting ready to move countries is a few sheet weeks, to Bangladesh much less? Clearly it needs to be something useful, and small...small perhaps being even more important than useful. I racked my brain for a couple of days and finally decided I was just going to have to make something. I knew my friend was nervous about her forthcoming move, after all Bangladesh is more intimidating than Turkey, and she didn't know anyone where she was going. I thought that maybe she would need something that could work as a pick-me-up in those harder times. So I took a used gum tin (the gum I like here comes in a metal box sort of like some of the mint tins in the US) and covered it so that it bore the words "A little box of Positive Thoughts" (instead of saying first gum). Then I cut out about 100 rectangles from decent paper and proceeded to write quotes, thoughts and aspirations on them. I'm hoping that when she needs a reminder that all is good and she can persevere these ideas will help her. At the very least it shouldn't take up much space as the box is only 8 x 2 x 3 1/2 cm.

2 comments: