Musings on my adventures around the world and my ties back in Texas as well as some of the the ideas I have to adapt and create to keep those places close to home.

Monday, June 25, 2007

Visiting a weaver artist


23 June 2007
Originally uploaded by ccarlstead
Saturday I had the chance to go to the workshop of a weaver that Ann Marie had met earlier in the year. He wanted to give a bar-b-que for whichever KoƧ teachers were interested in coming over to see his workshop (he is normally only open during the week so was doing this special for us on the weekend). I am so glad that I went! (Not for the food – I basically ate watermelon, although the others had some good meat.) Moussa does amazing work! He is really an artist, who has chosen weaving as his medium. In fact, he’s one of the few people in Istanbul I’ve ever heard say “That’s not for sale, it’s too pretty.” He is about creating first, and selling third or fourth. That said his work is bright, colorful and detailed. I’m not even sure that I can explain it. Several pieces had geometric designs to them (ok, yes it appeals to the mathematician in me who likes organized patterns) and when you held them up against the wall they almost looked like quilts. Sadly I’m inadequate in expressing the beauty of his work in words.

No comments: