Musings on my adventures around the world and my ties back in Texas as well as some of the the ideas I have to adapt and create to keep those places close to home.

Sunday, May 18, 2008

exploring the archaeological museum


set in stone
Originally uploaded by ccarlstead
After being encouraged several times to go to the Archaeological Museum by my brother-in-law after I had sent him there alone during his visit I finally decided to take advantage of some of the time in my four day weekend to do just that. Little did I realize that it would take up almost all of my time in town yesterday. Somehow, Turkey has acquired quite a collection, and not just from the treasures that can be found in Turkey. One thing for sure, I didn’t expect to see nearly so many sarcophagi in one place. They were amazing though. I have to admit that. The whole place was pretty amazing. Even the garden was a lovely tranquil oasis, with a good selection of ruined columns amidst the greenery. Although I have to admit my favorite exhibit was one they put together about what they’ve uncovered while trying to build a train tunnel underneath the Bosphorus. I guess one of the difficulties in a city that has such a history is that it is almost impossible to dig anywhere without unearthing some sort of archaeological remains. It’s just neat to see what was in places I frequent thousands of years ago. Really helps to put the modern world into perspective. While I don’t think it could ever be a quick trip I do recommend you take the time to visit if you ever get the chance.

No comments: