Musings on my adventures around the world and my ties back in Texas as well as some of the the ideas I have to adapt and create to keep those places close to home.

Monday, May 12, 2008

Race Fever


Decked out for race day
Originally uploaded by ccarlstead
About a week ago I was very confused as to why I couldn’t find a hotel room in the city for a night. Yes it’s nearing tourist time in Istanbul, but its still a bit early for everything to be full. It turns out that the city was full this weekend because of the Turkish Grand Prix. Racing fans flocked to Istanbul to watch the race, and since school is located so close to the race track, Istanbul Park, I couldn’t very well avoid the realization that it was going on. Saturday morning when I opened my door I could hear a faint drone in the background – the race was already on, and yes – we’re close enough to hear it. My mom got a glimpse of the track on Friday when a colleague’s wife took her out to a road that overlooks the park. As she said, “we were still pretty far away, the cars looked more like ants – but it gives an idea of the course.” Of course, if you’re really interested in the race course I discovered that there is a website all about Istanbul Park. Other than the background noise and a definite increase in traffic (thank goodness we were always going the opposite way this weekend) the only thing I noticed was that all the gas stations out by school were well decorated with checkered flags and one even had a giant helmet on top of its roof. For those of you interested the Brazilian Felipe Massa won the race.

No comments: