Musings on my adventures around the world and my ties back in Texas as well as some of the the ideas I have to adapt and create to keep those places close to home.

Sunday, January 13, 2008

A different type of mall


Modern
Originally uploaded by ccarlstead
Friday evening found me heading over to the European side of the city with friends for an evening out. I didn’t have any idea where we were going, or what our plan was. I was just content to be along for the ride and get off campus. I didn’t expect the sight that greeted me when we got out of the car at Kanyon Mall. Think modern architecture meets the Jetsons. Picture a central, rounded, tall business park with a four story mall swirling around the bottom. All curved lines and openness. It was so modern it made everything I’ve seen in Texas look old and boring. You could tell we were in a ritzy part of town by the shops that were there (and the number of students that we saw flitting around relaxing after three days of exams) and just the general atmosphere. I was surprised to find this was one place in Turkey where when you enter a store a salesperson didn’t immediately attach themselves to you and follow you around (I’ve been working on convincing myself this occurs because they get paid a commission, not because they are concerned you will shop lift). Frankly with the increased price of things here (we were looking at dresses in the 2000ytl range) I was surprised that we were left alone. Perhaps because they figure very few people actually buy things here, and I’m sure they are much better at reading who those people would be. Even the movie theater was impressive. Large undulating walls with messages and movie times scrolling past, small screens showing ads and trailers in the bathroom, and by far the most spacious seating I have yet to experience in Turkey. When you throw in the lighted tree sculptures out front, the ice rink and even a fake river with light swans floating around it really felt like I was somewhere completely unknown. It is images like this that continue to befuddle me and make me question just how Turkey is developing. It’s hard to reconcile this level of development with the situation I know exists in smaller towns farther east. Istanbul continues to be a fascination mix of Europeans and Asian, developed and developing.

No comments: