Musings on my adventures around the world and my ties back in Texas as well as some of the the ideas I have to adapt and create to keep those places close to home.

Sunday, February 3, 2008

Differences


The more I travel, the more I seem to be surprised by the little things. When I'm in a new country the big new sights are things that I expect, are in fact a good portion of why I chose to go to that place. But it always seems to be the little things that make an impression on me and stick in my mind. I'm currently sitting in a friend's apartment in Amman, Jordan and except for the snow, things are pretty much how I remember from my brief trip here last year...except for this one thing that I seem to keep noticing. In the dead of winter there is a truck that rolls around the streets of Amman playing music that reminds me of an ice cream truck in the US. What??? Surely not. Why would people be going out to buy ice cream when there is at least an inch of snow on the ground (snow that they normally don't see)? Well it turns out that the truck is announcing its presence for those who want to buy gas. It cruises the streets waiting for patrons interested in changing their gas canisters. While it seems a bit of an odd way to deal with it, I have heard it often enough to think that a house wouldn't be too long without gas if they were waiting. And it does seem a bit more welcome in the middle of winter then ice cream would be.

1 comment:

Tupacamaru said...

Well give it up for Texas! Houston Texas I lived out there half of my life, and sorry but I am happy that you as a Texan are traveling and seeing that others don't have gas feeds pouring into their homes through the ground or stores where they can pop around and buy it when they need it the most. Differences is definately a good title! Interesting picture, where's the snow, though? What are your thoughts on eco-traveling when you don't have to cross the ocean? http://travelpower.blogspot.com/