Musings on my adventures around the world and my ties back in Texas as well as some of the the ideas I have to adapt and create to keep those places close to home.

Sunday, February 10, 2008

New smoking ban in Turkey

As I was strolling through the airport in Istanbul I walked through the food court. I had to make a very quick pass due to how smoky the entire area was. During that brief time I noticed that the seating had a special non-smoking area, set aside by a barricade, and holding perhaps eight tables. It struck me as being the polar opposite of what one would see at home (if there would even be a smoking section). Not that it really surprised me as so many Turks smoke (what was surprising for me and my colleagues was to realize how few of the teachers in my office smoke). What is interesting about it is that this visual representation of the acceptance of smoking in Turkey is directly contradicted by a new law that was passed banning smoking in public places (with a fine) come next year. What I want to know is if they are really going to be successful enforcing the law when I’ve noticed Turks smoking directly under non-smoking signs (most frequently on the ferries) multiple times since arriving here. It should be interesting to see what type of protests come from this, and if they will be able to successfully implement the new law.

For more you can check out this article.

No comments: